AI is for brainstorming. Writing is for humans.
The robots are here to save you from busywork. That's it.
You might find it in yourself to write 100 unique product descriptions, coming up with something unique to say about each almost-the-same-yet-slightly-different product. Your resolve may also quaver at the prospect of pairing each of those …
Write documentation first. Then build.
VisiCalc started as a reference card. The Nest thermostat started as a press release. AWS, seemingly, started as a 128-word memo. “Writing is a way of finding out,” wrote Kettering University’s Marvin Swift in Harvard Business Review , 49 …
Trash the thesaurus. Dig into the dictionary instead.
You don’t need a better word. You need a refined meaning.
Have a good day! , you type, but that’s what everyone else says, and there’s got to be something better. So you turn to the thesaurus. Have could be own , keep , maintain , utilize , occupy . Good , in turn, could be fine , quality , …
Writing is photography with a pen
Here stands a tree. For now, that’s all you’ve got. A solitary tree, standing alone above the fray, an icon of individuality. Or one tree among many, a pillar of community or a young sapling in the shadow of those who came before. Look …
Don’t kill your darlings: What writers do with the things they cut
How to rescue your darlings
Write first. Cleanup later. Then as you’re proofreading, you’ll hit something unique, something you love, but something that doesn’t quite fit in this piece. Something that will distract readers from your main point. You know you should …
99% of what you publish won’t be popular
But the only way get the popular 1% is to write the other 99% as well.
I accidentally wrote the 35th most popular post on Zapier’s blog. It was early 2017, in those sleepy weeks after the holidays when you’re trying to get back into the swing of things. I needed to run an errand, and had a looming deadline …
📨 you’ve got mail.
Get every new Reproof post in your inbox.
One email per week, tops.